Mr. Justice Phiri holds an LLB degree from the University of Zambia (1977) and he was admitted to the Bar in (1978); He joined the Ministry of Justice in 1978 and served as Director of Public Prosecutions (1990 – 1997).
- He was appointed Judge of the High Court in 199;
- While in the Ministry of Justice, Mr. Justice Phiri was one of the two Zambian Lawyers seconded to the Commonwealth Secretariat during the Independence talks of Zimbabwe and he participated in the drafting of the Zimbabwean Constitution;
- He also participated in the drafting of the Namibian Constitution;
- Mr. Justice Phiri also served as Senior Legal Officer at the Commission for Investigations for seven years;
- In 2003, he authored the first ever Professional Assistant, Analysis and critique of the Anti-Corruption Commission Legislation in Zambia sponsored by the British DFID and in 2004;
- He was one of the four joint consultants in the USAID/AROLS Programme on the Legal Assistant Study at the Anti-Corruption Commission;
- He authored the Prosecutors’ Manual for the Anti-Corruption Commission published in 2005 under a project funded by DFDI;
- Mr. Justice Phiri also authored an article entitled, “The Ombudsman in Zambia” which was published in the Commonwealth Law Bulletin (1982 – 1987);
- He has also been a part-time Post graduate Lecturer in “Evidence and Practice” at the Zambia Institute of Advanced Legal Education, a training institution of Law graduates for admission to the Bar.